Saturday, November 1, 2008

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

It's November 1st, so the first words I said this morning are in the title of this blog. We need all the good luck we can get in 3 days when voters go to the polls. Please, God. Please.

Halloween was fun, as usual - my favorite Holiday. Tori is peeved at me because of the creepy clown doll I hung in the linen closet and then put in her purse. But come on - it was Halloween! She'll get me back eventually, and I'm an easy scare.

Lucy went to work with me in her ladybug costume, and I dressed as a butterfly - well, I wore wings and deely-bopper thingies on my head. She was a big hit. It was one of the busiest days I've had in recent memory, and I was glad to get the heck out of dodge and get home to the trick-or-treaters....

Now, we used to get 100 or so kids come by, but last night, we had maybe 20 or 25 if we were lucky. Tibby (Tori's final day-care mom) came with her four kids, and they were adorable. Her youngest turns 1 today, and last year, she had her mucho pregnant tummy painted like a jack-o-lantern! Melissa is such a cutie, as are Jack, Grace & Dawson. So we had a Hannah Montana come by, several princesses, an adorable St. Bernard (Mandy, age 1 1/2, from next-door), and a variety of other spooks & goblins.

November is here...weird. Time is just flying. Thanksgiving is a mere 4 weeks away, the Christmas. Tori is ever closer to her Senior year and then college. Last night I got a taste of how independent she's becoming. She and I have always done Halloween together - getting her ready in costume, handing out treats, and seeing her off to trick-or-treat here in Unionville. But not this year. She wore her costume to school, had rehearsal until 5, then drove over to Siobhan's house in Woodspring to hang out with friends and trick-or-treat in Woodspring and The Meadows. Didn't get home until after 9:30. I truly missed her being with me. And the years when she won't be with me at all are speeding toward me at an alarming rate. Who knew I'd be so sad? I've been saying for years that it's the natural order of things and, if I'm doing my parenting job well, we'll both be ready for her to fly away. Well, I lied! I will miss her terribly. There, I said it. Teen attitude and all, she is my baby. And I already miss her. *sniff* *sniff*

No comments: