Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh, DEER!!!




Thanks to Gina for the title - yes, I hit a deer last night on my way home at about 10 p.m. - it was a big sucka, too. I saw its panicked face and I'm sure it saw mine...then BANG!!! It hit my passenger side front end. I kept driving, praying hard & fast "Please, God, let me get to a safe spot to pull over or make it home!!!!" I was relieved not to have blown my right front tire, but I could hear that something was dragging. The vehicle behind me was flashing its lights, but I was too afraid to pull over until I got somewhere well lit. And, since I had idiotically left my cell phone in my office, I wanted somewhere with a pay phone (there aren't many of THOSE around anymore!).


So, I limped along to the 7-11 in Libertytown. I'd hit the deer just past the Liberty Road Seafood place, so I was so happy to make it that far. The vehicle behind me pulled in, too, and checked to make sure I was OK, which was really nice of them. It was a young family, mom, dad & 2 young boys. The dad helped me disconnect the crud that was dragging - it was my running lights and grille. Another guy let me use his cell phone to call Tori. I told her that I'd hit a deer and if I didn't make it home in 10-15 minutes, please drive down Liberty Road and look for me to drive me home. She didn't recognize the guy's cell # on caller ID and so didn't pick up at first....I was about to panic.


I learned that I do not do well in a crisis situation. Bruce says I should've pulled over right away and put on my flashers. But there was no way I wanted to chance A) the car not starting up again once I stopped; B) being stranded on the dark roadside with no cell phone; C) having the vehicle behind me contain homocidal maniacs; D) seeing the injured deer writhing on the shoulder or staring deadly at me; or E) all of the above. So, I just kept going. The dad in the car behind me said that I was throwing up sparks the whole way and they were really worried. They were very kind.


So, I'm very sore on my left side, but otherwise OK. I was pretty shaken up. It could have been much, much worse. At least I didn't have Tori or Lucy with me - they likely would've been injured as it hit on that side of the car.


So, life goes on. The car is in the body shop so I have to drive the big butt truck for a day. No biggie except I suck at driving that monster. And it's harder to manage the wheel with my left arm while shifting because I drive it so seldom and it is such a stiff clutch. But I'll survive.


So, that's my big adventure for this week.....let's hope I have no more!

1 comment:

Lori Cole said...

Ugh! I'm so glad you are ok! That is one of my biggest fears -for us and especially the kids when they are driving! I'm always on the lookout...especially out your way. God must have been watching over you! I'm sure it could have been much worse.