Thursday, August 14, 2008

Home, Exhausted, and Happy





We got home late last night. I was going to work half a day, but that went out the window. Tori and I walked the equivalent of 5-6 miles yesterday, after we walked about that far on Tuesday (including climbing 3 flights of VERY steep stairs to a secret room full of knock-off Coach purses on Canal Street). Our feet & legs are killing us! But it was all worth it.


Here are a few pictures from our trip. The Little Mermaid was about the best B'way show I've ever seen. I mean the full experience was so amazing - sets, costumes, props, etc... And to go backstage and see the way everything is organized was really cool. The space is extremely limited, so they use the walls, and even the rafters, to keep sets & props out of the way until they need them. During the backstage door, we only got to meet Sean, who plays Prince Eric, Merwyn, who is in the Ensemble, and Betsy, who understudied for Carlotta. Everyone else was flying out of there to get home. Unfortunately, the two women who star - Sierra Boggess (Ariel) and Sherrie Renee Scott (Ursula), didn't stick around or sign. But we weren't complaining. We decided to "stage door" on Wednesday after the matinee, and we got several autographs, but the two of them didn't come out while we were out there. We stood there for an hour until they dismantled the baracades.


We also did our first college visit, to Marymount Manhattan. Both Tori and I loved it. The academic and administrative buildings are in a very nice part of Manhattan, not far at all from Central Park. The dorms are about a 20 minute walk away, but again, the neighborhoods through which the students travel are safe enough. I was impressed with the staff and stuents we met, and the facilities are beautiful - the theatre seats 449 and is simply beautiful. So, now we just have to figure out how on earth we'd be able to afford it. We'll visit some other schools as well, but I'm afraid that she's hooked. And while I wanted to hate it, I have to say I didn't. So that's a problem! The idea that she could study so close to so many opportunities is so amazing. We'll just have to see.


So it's back to work tomorrow, for just one day before the weekend. Then I don't have a break until I go to VA Beach w/Ruthie in September. OK, so I'm kind of spoiled....oh well!


No comments: